I usually feel a bit stressed this time of year. I’ve started a new shift so I’m out of routine and the weather and dark evenings mean that I go out less. All I want to do is sit in front of a heater, in comfortable clothes, pig out and watch stuff aimlessly on my laptop. I do not want to exercise, I do not want to eat healthy and I do not want to go outside and I do not want to catch a cold.
There are some, rare, bright days that cheer me right up but seeing as the weather is uncontrollable, I decided to compile a list of things that do make me happy. Positive thinking and gratitude do make you happy.
1. Horse riding – Since changing shifts at work, I work longer hours but get more days off. So, as to not waste this time doing what I said above, I decided to persuade a friend to join me. I have wanted to go for years but always put it off but I thought if I don’t do it now then when will I?
2. Christmas shopping – Buying Christmas presents is guilt free shopping! It’s even better when they have 3 for 2 offers as you get to keep something for yourself for free! I will do a blog post on a few things I picked up later on. The Body Shop are offering 30% off when you sign up to their loyalty card in store and a free gift if you spend over £30. Their Frosted Plum range is my favourite.
3. Baths – It’s too cold for showers so I like to put some candles on, grab a book or the tablet and unwind. It’s a great opportunity to use some of my favourite products too – right now anything Lush.
4. Yoga – I love doing this but since the weather has been cold and it’s dark outside I just haven’t been feeling like putting on my gear and getting my mat out. So, again, I forced myself to go to a class. It’s only a 6 week course so I’ll have to find something else afterwards but because I paid for 36 weeks, which kind of forced me to go. I was pretty nervous going the first time but it was so relaxing. It is every Thursday and every other week I go after work and now I look forward to it as it is the best way to unwind, de stress and reduce anxiety.
5. Christmas presents – OK I know Christmas isn’t about the receiving – it’s the giving and spending time with the family, but getting presents from your friends and family does make you feel special and appreciated. I feel so lucky and I am grateful for the people around me.
6. Walks on nice days – this is one of my favourite things to do but it is completely dependant on the weather. I wasn’t going to include it but it is the one thing that makes me feel truly happy to be alive. My dog loves them too. I do like to go alone because I appreciate the peace and the beauty of nature the most when I do and I get sad when others don’t get to experience it the way I do. There are a few places I like to go in my area but really I just like to get in the car and see where I end up. Exploring new places is the best.
7. Electric blanket – our central heating isn’t working at the moment and we have no oil anyway so I rely on the electric blanket to keep me warm as I drift off. I look forward to going to bed which stops me staying up so late when I’ve got to be up at 5.30 am for work. There’s not a lot worse when you get changed into cold pjs and then have to climb into a cold bed shivering hoping your little amount of body heat will warm up the bed. It’s my winter necessity.
8. Leggings – I used to scowl at people who wore leggings. Only chavs wear them as trousers and I only wear them for working out. Well, I was wrong. I bought some nice grey ones (not the usually black ones) for yoga and I put them on a few hours earlier as I wan’t going anywhere and wow they are super comfy and allow so much movement. I don’t have the legs to wear them out but my life has changed for the better.
9. Getting up early – I have been doing this for a while now and when I don’t I feel lazy and tired. So it has been great for me. I am more productive. There is something wonderful about the silence of the morning, when everyone else in the street appears to be asleep and it feels like you are the only person up. I love that.
10. Completing Open Uni assignments – I am a part time distance learning student. I enjoy the work I do and really enjoy completing assignments as it gives me a sense of accomplishment which is very important as I need to accomplish things to be happy. Before, it has been fitness goals and weight loss goals but they just aren’t happening right now so for a while I have this.
That was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be but I am glad that I did it. Another accomplishment ticked off.